Langlade County Land Records & Regulations Department FAQ

Do I need a zoning permit?
A zoning permit is required anytime a structure is to be built, moved or structurally altered (including porches and decks) in all zoned areas of the county.  Exempt from the permit requirement are accessory structures that are valued at less than $1,000.00 such as small storage sheds without a foundation.  Please contact the Land Records & Regulations Department before beginning any construction.

What do I need to get a permit?
Either the property owner or the contractor, as the owner’s agent, can obtain permits.  It is your responsibility, as the property owner, to ensure that your builder or contractor obtains all necessary permits and complies with the regulations.
Listed below is a convenient checklist to help you through the permit approval process:
  • Zoning  Check the zoning and parcel size to verify that a structure can be built on the lot.
  • Legal Title The Land Records & Regulations Department can issue permits only to the legal owner of the property or to the owner’s agent/contractor.
  • Soil Test  A soil test is performed by a certified soil tester and is required to determine the type of sanitary system to be installed and where it can be located on the property.  The soil test will become part of the sanitary permit. 
  • Sanitary Permit  A licensed plumber usually acts as the property owner’s agent to apply for a sanitary permit and any state approvals that are needed.  The plumber submits the sanitary permit to the Land Records & Regulations Department with the required fee.
  • Fill & Grade Permit  A fill and grade permit is required for any filling, grading or excavating within 300’ of a navigable water body including digging a basement.  A fee is required and possible site inspection by staff prior to issuance of permit.
  • Zoning Permit (Often referred to as a building permit)  A zoning permit is required for construction of any structure valued at $1,000.00 or more.  Information required will include size of structure, use of structure, general property owner information and a site plan of proposal showing setbacks to lot lines, roads, water, septic and well, and any other structures on property.  Stick built homes and additions also require a UDC (Uniform Dwelling Code) permit that is obtained through the County Building Inspector. The county has contracted with Duff Leaver Inspections to issue UDC permits & perform the required inspections during construction. He can be reached by phone at 715-216-4734.
  • Rural Address A rural address application must be completed to obtain a rural number.  The number will be assigned once the necessary permits have been obtained.

Please check with the Land Records & Regulations Department to determine which permits will be required and what the fee schedule is for each permit.  It is important to apply early, especially during the peak building season as it may take up to six weeks or more to get all approvals.  Permits are required before any construction can be started.

How long is a zoning permit valid?
Upon issuance, a zoning permit is in effect for 2 years.

What is the zoning of my property?
The zoning of your property should be verified prior to obtaining permits or splitting any property.  Zoning district regulations vary in terms of parcel size, building requirements, and uses of the land.  You may contact the Land Records & Regulations Department to obtain the zoning of your property or view your property through the County GIS webpage.

What are the setbacks to roads, lot lines, etc?
Building setback information may be obtained two ways.  A scan of our form is available here or you can stop in at the Land Records & Regulations Department.

What is the minimum parcel size for creating a new lot?
Parcel size requirements may vary in different zoning districts.  The zoning should be verified prior to any creation of new lots.  The minimum parcel size for creating a new lot is 2 acres, except for the Townships of Neva & Peck which have their own ordinance that require 3 acre minimum sized lots.  In some instances, one (1) acre lots may be created if it is a pre-planned lot showing where the septic system site, alternate septic site, and proposed structures are laid out.  Any lot created less than 10 acres in size requires a certified survey.

Do I need a zoning permit for farm structures or fences?
Property owners who operate dairy farms, potato and vegetable farms, etc., do not need a zoning permit to construct a barn, silo, machine shed, or similar type farm structure. Zoning permits are not necessary to construct a fence, however, parcels which abut lands on which livestock are kept shall be fenced with a fence satisfying the standards of Ch. 90, Wis. Stats. Such fence shall be maintained, repaired or rebuilt as conditions warrant during such time period as the lands adjoining such fences are in farm use or in a use which involves the feeding or grazing of livestock. Please be aware that farm structures and fences must still adhere to the setback requirements found in SPS 383 and Section 17.15 of the Langalde County Code of Ordinances.

What is the difference between a mobile home and manufactured home?
Mobile homes are constructed prior to 1976 and do not have HUD (Housing & Urban Development) approval.  Manufactured homes are constructed after 1976 and do have HUD approval stamps/stickers fastened to the home. 
Manufactured homes are allowed in the same zoning districts that stick-built homes are permitted.  All homes must be placed on permanent foundations, tied down, and skirted.

Where do I find property tax information?
Follow this link to Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR) site to view or print information about property taxes or to obtain property owners guides and other literature on taxes and assessments.